“The way a book is read — which is to say, the qualities a reader brings to a book — can have as much to do with its worth as anything the author puts into it…. Anyone who can read can learn how to read deeply and thus live more fully.”
~Norman Cousins


Writing is where we truly learn. Join the Journey.

I read from my scriptures (book), but you can find scripture reference here.

Friday, June 25, 2010

Out of Bondage

1 Nephi 17

The Woman in the Mirror walking past the mirrored glass,
I take a timid peek, I see a woman staring back,
I'm too choked up to speak.
The puffiness is gone, the skin is pink and glowing,
The many pounds that melted off, finally, is showing.
Hard to believe, till recently, this same woman was dying,
Stuffing food to ease the pain, heartbroken and crying.
Life revolved around each snack, she lived for every meal,
Anything to numb the hurt, she didn't want to feel.
When did she get so pretty?
When did God remove the grief ? How did this miracle happen?
Who provided the relief ? What a gift! A second chance!
I thank God every day, for His grace in showing me,
There IS a better way.
I walk, I dance, I make love too,
My heart is filled with gladness, I'm out of bondage, out of pain,
There is no room for sadness.
This woman in the mirror, Smiles softly back at me,
She has good cause to be so pleased, she's finally been set free.
Author Unknown

I chose this poem.. not because of its theme about overeating, but because everyone of us has our own "thing" that keeps us bound. The author of this poem allowed God into her life and he helped her overcome her addiction to food. I have my own issues that I lean on God for help. In an effort to help his brothers understand his (God's) perspective, Nephi goes to the history books and relays to his brethren the history of his people. He reminds them of how God has delivered them in the past and how greater blessings lie ahead if they will persevere with faith.

A famous quote on the importance of history can be found by Lord Bolingbroke. It says that "history is philosphy teaching by example and also by warning".
Nephi uses many examples to stress this point. He is hoping that the examples will be enough to motiviate.

(vs 23-33) children of Israel - first example. .. they were in bondage. Moses was commanded to do lead them to safety. Nephi relays the example. As I read it I think of the poem above. I think of how he can help me and my family face every challenge. I think of how I can emulate the faith of Moses? I have children. I have a family. I have generations that will follow. It is important for me to emulate good men, good women, and the learn to listen to the voice of God.

(vs 35) Behold the Lord esteemeth all flesh in one -
I know this to be true. I know that God loves all of his children. I have many friends and I love them all. I love people. I love being around people that bring life to my days.

(vs 40) He loveth those who will have him to be their God - I know this to be true. I know that those who love God, bring life to their days and enhance the lives of others. I can think of great men and women in my life, who have not only been polite, but have exuded their lives with sincerity and a desire to serve. I feel safe around them. I feel God's love. I want others to feel this way about me.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails