“The way a book is read — which is to say, the qualities a reader brings to a book — can have as much to do with its worth as anything the author puts into it…. Anyone who can read can learn how to read deeply and thus live more fully.”
~Norman Cousins


Writing is where we truly learn. Join the Journey.

I read from my scriptures (book), but you can find scripture reference here.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

the gift of God which in in thee ( 2 Timothy 1)





























Be strong in the faith
Sept 11, 2001 
I woke early and drove our young son to preschool. As I returned home the phone rang. My husband Mark was calling me to ask if I had seen the news? He was in Japan on a business trip and had seen video of the air plane attack. Not able to speak English, a Japanese restaurant owner had pantomimed the planes flight into the tower.  
I turned on the television in time to see the second plane hit the second tower. I fell to my knees in prayer. What else could I do in such a time of fear and trembling? 
With imminent threat still looming, all air traffic stopped. Mark was now stranded in Japan. For how long? No one knew. The uncertainty of the situation caused me great anxiety and fear. I felt certain that I would not see him again. 
Again I prayed. Like Paul's letter to Timothy I prayed both night and day (vs 3) for the safe return of my husband and children's father. I had a great desire to see him and fill my void with tears of joy (vs 4). 
Like Timothy I had to be reminded of my "unfeigned faith" and the gift of God that had once been in me. So great was my fear and anxiety, this gift of the Holy Ghost had to be stirred unto remembrance.( vs 5,6). 
I remember calling our bishop and asking for a priesthood blessing. I remember praying often to know what to do, what to expect, and what to tell my children, two of whom were away at college. 
So many thoughts ran through my mind. Were we at war? Would other airplanes be attacked? How would he return to the American continent if not by plane? It was a time to watch the news and hope for the best. It was a time of faith in the power of the Holy Ghost. I called family and friends to garner support. 
In answer to my prayer, I was reminded again and again, "for God hath not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 
I searched the scriptures for comfort and learned to "hold fast the form of sound words," which I "heard of (apostles), in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus."(vs 13). 
And soon the answer came. One morning I woke to a clear calm voice that rang through me.
It said very distinctly, "Mark will come home today." I had no proof other than the comforting words of the "gift of God within me," but it was enough to calm me and give me peace. 
Within a few hours the phone rang and it was Mark on the other end, "I'm flying out in 3 hours. I should be home by tomorrow morning." 
Paul was in prison when he wrote this letter to Timothy. He was alone, tired, and sick. Timothy as a physician new of his beloved apostles pain and suffering and wanted desperately to succor him and to understand those that would abuse the Lord's servant.

Paul's vision however was not of pain and fear, but of the power, love and sound mind that comes with faith. Paul stood firm and not ashamed of his situation nor his circumstance. He had a pure conscience (vs 3) and a vision of eternal life (vs 10). He was trying to get Timothy to learn how to rely on the gift of the Holy Ghost that dwelleth in us (vs 14). He wanted to teach Timothy that fear holds place with those that have the limited vision of an earthly life, but faith brings us the vision of eternal reward.

My husband was returned to our family "according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began." 


Have you ever felt afraid, alone, or abused? Have you ever had need to have the "gift of God" stir within you? If so, then you can understand Paul's "form of sound words"(vs 13) and find the grace, mercy and peace"(vs 2) that God intends for you to have through the gift and power of the Holy Ghost. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails