“The way a book is read — which is to say, the qualities a reader brings to a book — can have as much to do with its worth as anything the author puts into it…. Anyone who can read can learn how to read deeply and thus live more fully.”
~Norman Cousins


Writing is where we truly learn. Join the Journey.

I read from my scriptures (book), but you can find scripture reference here.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Softened Heart; Alma 62:41, by Ann Y.

"But behold, because of the exceedingly great length of the war between the Nephites and the Lamanites many had become hardened, because of the exceedingly great length of the war; and many were softened because of their afflictions, insomuch that they did humble themselves before God, even in the depth of humility."

The Softened Heart Soliloquy
by: Ann Y.
This Softened Heart Soliloquy,
That's written and prepared by me;
I hope that you will test and see,
Tis everything you hoped it'd be.

Through Father's grace he doth provide,
The challenges that feign deride,
He uses to chastise and chide,
To humble me, remove my pride.

At temporal trials I balked and strained,
At blemishes that caused me shame,
I shook my fist and scattered blame;
In ignorance I did remain.

My hardened heart could not be bent;
I would not of my sins repent.
I'd suffer to my pride, no dent.
And thus in sadness, life was spent.

Until that moment, happily,
When all of my life's misery,
First wrought in me humility,
And forced me sobbing to my knees.

I pled forgiveness of my Lord,
With soul and heart in one accord.
In gratitude for faith's reward,
I promised to lay down my sword.

My heart was tenderized that day;
My foolish pride was stripped away,
And Satan's minions kept at bay,
The moment I began to pray.

Although the lesson here is free,
I must confess, twas hard for me.
Take nigh to heart my fervent plea,
This Softened Heart Soliloquy.

I think it is very interesting to note how the same experience can touch two people in very different ways. One person will insist on holding on to his pride no matter what the cost may be, and the more the Lord chastises him, the more angry he gets. Why? Because pride and anger go hand and hand, much as humility and charity go hand in hand. And then, another person, under the same difficult circumstances, will see the error of his ways and be brought to humble himself before the Lord. I hope that I will always remember that "pride goeth before the fall," and that no heart in anger is an acceptable offering before the Lord.

That being said, anger and pride are both things that I struggle with. I will have to work harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails